Monday 20 May 2013

Babies; what comes next??

....and then there were three..

Mike's parents (and lovely hosts) have gone away for three whole weeks, leaving us the house to ourselves! considering we've barely had any time together during the last month and a half, this is most welcome!

As much as I enjoy having them around, and I actually really do (we bake, talk, go shopping, go for coffee etc - there's a lot to be said for hanging around retired folk! they're never to busy for you) I'd almost forgotten what its like to live as the three of us. So far its been bliss, I'm going through recipes, planning our return to London (my Dad and sister are viewing a house for us on Wednesday....eeeek!excited!) and I can watch all the episodes of Made In Chelsea I want! *que evil laughter*
However, as much as this lazing around is lovely, I've also been getting my walk on too, which has resulted in losing a few lbs, I've also been arranging to get back into part time work for our return to the great city. I definitely think its time and I really, really do miss working now. With no plans to have another brat (Oops I meant baby...naughty typos, aherm) within the next few years, I would really like to get on some sort of career track, the problem is I don't know what!
Over the years, I've done all sorts. I left home at sixteen and pretty much went straight into hospitality, my first bar job being in Liverpool (first love/boyfriend was at Uni there) and then being transferred within the same brewery/company back to a London (when we broke up) The City Of London to be exact, I ended up working just off Fleet Street and then near St Pauls for around 5 years. Working in hospitality in the city for a long time is certainly an eye opener, I could tell you stories that would put hairs on your chest. Those naughty business folk.
By the time I was 22 I was running my own little Gastro pub in Clapham Common, then in Wiltshire, I loved it and was pretty good at it, I was good at managing people, good at events and marketing, I kept on top of the cash management and good stock control, and I had a bloody good time, meeting some of my dearest best friends along the way.
I then gave it all up for love (hospitality's not great for the relationship, long hours)and to travel to Australia with Mike to meet his family. On my return to London I dabbled with being a PA to the Director of a TV & film production company, I did really enjoy that until the low wages and the fact that the Director was deranged, with a penchant for throwing things at people, put me off.
I then sloped back to hospitality with my tail in between my legs and started working at a place in Fulham that taught ex servicemen how to become chefs and work within the hospitality industry (Mike and I worked on this together) A lot of these men were suffering from PTSD and other issues, so it was certainly a challenge but well worth it when you saw them progress and finish the course (which sadly not a lot did)

After a year, I got made redundant...on the same day I found out I was pregnant. I was swiftly hired by the lovely Sammy at Sammy Duders pottery shop in Clapham and spent probably one of the best summers of my life helping create baby hands and feet imprints in clay and ceramics whilst my belly grew bigger and bigger and I neared towards my due date.

That was almost two years ago, and bar the occasional shift at Mike's old café on New Kings Rd, I've not worked since..... So what should I do?
Hospitality hours don't work with children, try my hand at being a PA again? It's really scary being almost thirty with no solid career to fall back on. Has anyone changed career after having children and how?

I'm excited though, I feel like coming to Australia and having time out from the craziness of London has given me the reality check I needed and got me my mojo back! I know it sounds proper cheesy *passes vom bucket to you* but I really want to make Jacob as proud of me as I am of him.
 
 
 
Me and my munchkin.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment