Wednesday 30 January 2013

Tantrums.

At the ripe old age of 16 months old, my gorgeous, placid little baby has turned into a foot stamping, red faced, growling (don't ask) screaming, crying, chuck-yourself-on-the-floor tearaway toddler. We were in the doctors surgery the other day when I asked him to come away from the revolving doors that he kept trying to run in and out of, simple request right?
Wrong. What came after I can only weep as I reminisce, a blood curdling scream followed by the biggest meltdown that would make Naomi Campbell proud. I was absolutely horrified and did everything I could to soothe him, and eventually did, thank God.

I think I'm genuinely baffled as I had no idea they started this early! And I know the majority of the time, he's just asserting who he is, he's trying to tell me that he's an individual (a bloody strong willed one at that) and that he has to be allowed to explore and learn and tread his OWN footsteps. In the meantime I'm learning a whole new world of my own...being parent to a toddler.
It's bloody hard, and exhausting - and I've literally run out of ways to keep him entertained on trains and buses that I now just sing 'The Wheels On The Bus' shamelessly at the top of my lungs because it amuses him.
....and as for Supermarkets! The sweets and chocolate at the checkout, the thousands of kids magazines on the bottom shelf in perfect eye view of my pint size Iggle Piggle addict. Just waiting for his beady eyes to discover them.

I know we'll get there, and to give him credit, he is bloody funny and charming and ever so adorable. I just need extra patience (and wine!)

Please feel free to give me lots of advice on how you handled the dreaded terrible twos (or ones, threes and fours) .....


No comments:

Post a Comment